Personal songs

Sounds and words from the past !

From a very young age I had the desire, and perhaps the "talent" to write lyrics.

My first complete poem, accordingly to my parents, was at the age of six (6) when our teacher asked us to draw an animal on a piece of paper. I drew a white horse . At the same time I composed in my mind a poem for that  horse. When my turn came to show the drawing to my other classmates,  I also recited my poem. My teacher was very impressed of how easily I could make a poem with rhymes at that age.

At the age of eight (8) I wrote my first song. Later, when I started to learn bouzouki, parallel to the skills of writing lyrics, I tried to develop skills in composing melodies.

In the years followed, at the age of fifteen (15), I wrote dozen of amateur songs (which I never saved somewhere). One of them I played to my bouzouki instructor and Rebeti, Giorgo Manteli in one of our lessons. After hearing it he told me:

"You have a great talent creating songs .. do not give up ... "

I thanked  him and returned to my home.
At this point I should mention, that teacher Mandelis has a daughter, who is a virtuoso bouzouki player.
If I remember correctly, she had played for the opening of the great musician Vasilli Tsitsani, in one of his last concerts. I remember some photographs my teacher had shown me from that event. Unfortunately I have forgotten the type of event and her first name, after so many years.

Next time I went back for my bouzouki lesson, the teacher said:

"Last week, after you played your song, my daughter who was in the next room asked me:
-Father, for so many years I know all the songs you have played. This Hioti's song you've taught to your student, I've never heard it before. It sounded very nice, and I would like to learn its melody."

And of course, my teacher explained that the song she had heard was one of my own composition and lyrics.

Whatever talent or  "touch" I had with lyrics and music subsided  as the time of the nationwide exams for admission to University was approaching, and the free time for music became absent. It was the point of my life, where I had to choose a stable career over my love for music.

Nowadays, I play in my free time amateur bouzouki,  and from time to time I take the pen and without much thought I compose some unfinished songs with lyrics and music.

After so many years of writing on this blog, I thought  to share some of my amateur composition which I recently re-recorded with my Giannis Tsoulogiannis bouzouki. Here on chronological order from most recent to the older ones.

Aw Hellas -created 2019



Tell me-created 2019 (for female voice)



The money-created 2018



Your beautiful eyes- created 2018



The nightmare-created 2011



Fake kisses -created 2011



Romia-created 2010



 The murderer -created 2010



'I still love you" -created 2005

Comments

Popular Posts